Sunday, June 10, 2007

The decision was made. The fabric was selected. The threads were
gathered. The stitching began. Introducing my next obsession...er...project.
Little House Needlework's "The Bookshelf". Combining my two main
obsessions, books and cross stitch. I'm using the recommended 28 count
light mocha linen, and the recommended threads, all DMC. This is about a
week and a half's work, with not a great deal getting done this week thanks
to work.

Work is why I've not been updating my blog as much as I would have liked.
First of the month is crazy at the best of times, but throw in being short
staffed due to holidays and illness, a new section of work being given to our
department to process, and one body to do it instead of the two bodies it
took in the department where it use to be done, and you've got chaos!
Many late nights meant coming home, eating dinner (a sandwich, glass of
milk and cookies) and going to bed. I've not even been on my computer
three nights out of five. Shocking!!! When I have been on line, I've been
reading blogs and using the images of other peoples stitching to sooth my
frazzled nerves, and to relax me. Although the sight of Becky's stitching
room certainly got my adrenaline pumping. Couldn't you just spend
several hours (days) in there gazing and drooling and sighing???


As of last weekend I finished planting all the pots for this summer, and I'm
quite pleased with the results. As usual I just bought stuff that appealed to
me at the garden centres, without bothering to concern myself with a colour
scheme, or theme or whatever. I like to mix the texture and style of the
leaves for contrast, and of course I have my favourites which I buy every
year. Things like variegated leaf Geraniums, Heliotrope, Lantana, carnation
and marigold. And the double petal Petunia's in various colours are really
lovely this year.

The rabbit hasn't been around lately (at least I haven't seen him/them) but
the poor plants in my garden are being trampled by territorial squirrels
chasing each other through the undergrowth without care or regard for my
delicate little plants. Meanwhile, the chipmunks have began showing up at
the back door, looking for handouts, much to the frustration of the cats. It's
a good thing that we have a sturdy back door.


I have gotten a good bit of reading done this week, during breaks
and on my way home from work. I started "Sebastian" on Monday
and finished it on Thursday. It was wonderful. My first Anne
Bishop book, and I loved it, and especially the character of
Sebastian. The author has a great sense of humour too, which is
always important to me. This is a fantasy novel, and will probably
be the first of a trilogy. I'm going to have to start collecting all of
her books now.
On Friday I began the Kathy Reichs book "Break No Bones" and I
finished it on Saturday. I've been collecting and reading Ms Reich's
books from the very beginning and I enjoy her very much. Again,
she has that dry sense of humour that I love, and I'm fascinated by
the descriptions of the forensic work featured in each books. These
are quick reads, although I will go back and reread some of the more
technical parts to make sure that I'm clear on what's happening.

DH spent yesterday working in the garden, digging, trimming,
tying things up, and cleaning up from the heavy rainstorm that
passed through Southern Ontario on Friday afternoon. No major
damage in our yard, although there were some large tree limbs down
in the area. Of course I left work Friday afternoon in the midst of
the storm, and just a five minute walk to my bus stop left me
soaking wet from the hips down (I had my umbrella keeping my
head and shoulders dry). Thank goodness I'd left my x-stitching home
that day because I knew the bad weather was coming, and I wasn't
going to have much stitching time that day at work anyways.

And finally, as always, a cat picture. Rupert helping to make the bed last
Sunday. He loves to get wrapped up in the sheets, and then tickled.

Cheers everyone. Thanks for dropping by.

3 comments:

BeckySC said...

It's looking FABULOUS!!! :)

Shannon said...

Your new start looks great. That's a piece that's caught my eye quite a bit. I'm always on the lookout for "book-related" designs, but they seem to be lacking, dont' they ?

Your flowers are beautiful ! I love your sense of colour and "free-ness" in planting. Themes can be good. But there is nothing more beautiful than a bounty of colour, texture, and size :)

Do you recommend reading Kathy Reich's books in order ? I've been given some, but have hesitated to start them until I decide whether or not to read them chronologically. Sounds like a good summer project though :)

Gina E. said...

Oh what a great idea - a cross stitch design to commemorate a book! Love it! Love the photo of your gorgeous kitty too! I mailed that mouse XS kit to you a week or so ago - has it arrived yet?